Subject: Casters for carts

Casters for carts

From: Martin O'Brien <martinob>
Date: Saturday, July 22, 2000
Bryan Draper <bdraper [at] lva__lib__va__us> writes

>We are clearly frustrated by this situation and can not seem to find
>casters that will both absorb shock and vibration adequately, yet
>turn on a dime.  Unless we can find another caster, we feel
>compelled to put the original casters back on the cart.  We have
>considered trying various types of cushioning material between the
>caster plate and the cart frame. However, the ideal caster seems to
>be one whose outer layer is like the so-called "soft" material of
>the original casters around a pneumatic core to absorb vibration.

There are many specialty distributors of casters that should have
consultants experienced with a wide variety of applications and
special needs.  The W.T. Hight Company is one I have found to be
helpful, they can be found at: <URL:http://www.weroll.com/>

I recently purchased some Colson brand casters (series 2 with a
rounded, soft, non marking wheel, 5" diameter). I have found them to
be very quiet and I believe they will last.  Usually, the greater
the diameter, the easier it is for the caster to pass over
obstacles.

Martin O'Brien - Cabinetmaker
336-773-1334
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101