Subject: Pest control and security

Pest control and security

From: Patricia L. Miller <plmxiha>
Date: Friday, July 21, 2000
A small museum contacted us with the following questions. Could
anyone offer advice?

    1.  Do you know if any museums use those sonic pest control
        devices? They're supposed to emit a high pitched frequency
        that drives away mice. I haven't read anything that proves
        these actually works, but if anyone has had good luck with
        them I'd certainly be willing to give it a try.

    2.  Do any of your museum security pals use battery powered
        motion detectors in exhibits? Do they make ones that use
        beam technology or have a narrow cone of detection? I'm
        using some little Radio Shack screamers. They're ok, but I'd
        love to have something that's fairly inexpensive and
        portable.

Patricia L. Miller, Executive Director
Illinois Heritage Association
602 1/2 E. Green St., Champaign, IL 61820

                   Distributed: Friday, July 21, 2000