Subject: Ceramics

Ceramics

From: Shelley Sturman <s-sturman>
Date: Friday, July 21, 2000
I should like to pose the following question to colleagues-object
conservators regarding a question from a ceramic artist.  Does
anyone have experience with a product called Winterstone and do you
have any information about its longevity? The artist is looking for
a professional grade material with the plasticity of clay but the
permanence of bronze or stone.  (I interpret that point to mean that
the material doesn't break as easily as ceramic, because in my
opinion well-fired ceramics are very durable)  The artist also asked
about Sculpey...any information on longevity? Some time ago I heard
about an air-dried modeling clay called Darwi from an artist, does
anyone know anything about it or have experience with that material?
Many thanks,

Shelley Sturman
National Gallery of Art
Washington, DC  20565