Subject: Dataloggers

Dataloggers

From: Jim Urich <jimu>
Date: Tuesday, July 18, 2000
I appreciate the opportunity that was afforded me to introduce our
new Internet-based datalogger to the ALA discussion group "Physical
Quality and Treatment" during the Chicago convention.  There was a
question concerning the security of the system that I was not able
to adequately answer, as no current users of the ezLogger have
expressed concerns, and I do not have a sufficient electrical
engineering background to have given you an answer with 100%
certainty.

Pinnacle's Vice President of Engineering, Dave Johnson
(davej [at] pinnaclet__com), tells me that since the ezLogger is actually
a small computer, its connection to your Ethernet is just as secure
as your own desktop computer connection. This will vary from
institution to institution depending on the degree of security your
IT department and administration have elected to build into your
system.  No computer network is 100% safe.  However, most
institutions feel the advantages of having their computers networked
far outweigh the disadvantages related to security.

The possibility of someone physically stealing an ezLogger would
also be no greater than of them stealing your current dataloggers.
If you wish additional security for your ezLoggers we are evaluating
various wire cages with tamper resistant screws.  This information
will be posted on our web site shortly.

Once again, we have not received any reports of security problems
from institutions currently using the ezLogger, and we have no
reason to believe it will be an issue in the future.  If you have
specific concerns please give us a call us during regular business
hours 785-832-8866), or visit <URL:http://www.pinnaclet.com/ez.htm>

Jim Urich
VP Sales & Marketing
Pinnacle Technology