Subject: Mounted horse head

Mounted horse head

From: Vanessa Roth <vanessaroth>
Date: Monday, July 17, 2000
Sue Valis <suev [at] austmus__gov__au>

>Would anyone have experience with the conservation of split skin of
>a mounted horse's head which is stretched over a plaster substrate.

I have had some success with repairing split skins by attaching a
strip of Japanese tissue under one side of the split with a product
called High Tack Fish Glue (from Lee Valley Tools in Canada--I have
some if you would like a sample).  Dye the tissue first if you have
a large split.  Paper clips are good for holding the tissue in
position.  Once dry, the tissue is tucked underneath and adhered to
the other side.  The advantage of the fish glue is that it is
extremely tacky and if you accidentally get some on the fur it is
easily removed with a damp swab.  I have not worked with horse skins
but I have used this method for possum and leopard skins.

Vanessa Roth
International Conservation Services

                   Distributed: Friday, July 21, 2000