Subject: Transparent papers

Transparent papers

From: Amy Lubick <amy_lubick>
Date: Thursday, July 13, 2000
Albanese Serena <albaser [at] interfree__it> writes

>I am a student of paper conservation and am searching for
>information about tracing/transparent papers: their use, history,
>and conservation treatments. Could anyone help me to find useful
>bibliographic indications (books and articles) or suggest to me web
>sites of libraries where I could ask for some literature?

I am completing a two-year advanced internship focusing on the
examination and treatment of over 100 drawings on tracing paper.
Nancy Carlson Schrock compiled a bibliography in July 1994 on
"Conserving architectural drawings and oversize works of art on
paper" with many references to the conservation treatment of tracing
paper.  I have completed an updated tracing paper bibliography which
is now available in Conservation OnLine
<URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/lubick/tracing-refs.html>

Dianne van der Reyden and others published several excellent papers
(between 1992-1995) on the manufacture and treatment of tracing
paper which I found especially informative.

During the internship, I completed a survey of paper conservators on
current tracing paper treatment trends such as washing, lining,
solvent treatments, adhesives, etc.  The results were extremely
useful and included many helpful tips. These too are available in
Conservation OnLine
<URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/lubick/tracing-refs.html>

Amy Lubick
Advanced Paper Conservation Intern