Subject: Displaying rugs

Displaying rugs

From: Deborah Lee Trupin <deborah.trupin>
Date: Friday, July 14, 2000
Joan Binzen <binzenj [at] mville__edu> writes

>I would like to hear from anyone with experience using velcro to
>hang rugs and other woven textiles.  Specifically, I understand the
>hook side of a velcro closing strip can be hooked into the back of
>the rug or textile.  The strip may then be attached to the wall by
>whatever means chosen.   I would like to know whether or how much
>damage this may cause to the rug/textile and over how long a period
>of time

Yes, textile conservators do use velcro to hang rugs and other
textiles, depending on the condition/construction of the textile.
However, textile conservators *never* use the hook velcro directly
in contact with the textile. Anyone who has ever caught the sleeve
of a sweater in the hook side of velcro knows what damage results.
Generally, textile conservators attach the hook side of the velcro
to a wood or metal slat that can be suspended on the wall.  Then
they stitch the fuzzy side to a fabric strip and then stitch edges
of the fabric strip to the textile itself.  Stitches used vary among
conservators.  Placement of the hanging strip can be tricky.  I
recommend that you work with a textile conservator--either to have
her do it for you or to train you to do it properly.

                   Distributed: Monday, July 17, 2000