Subject: Displaying rugs

Displaying rugs

From: Jeanne Willoz-Egnor <jegnor>
Date: Thursday, July 13, 2000
Joan Binzen <binzenj [at] mville__edu> writes

>I would like to hear from anyone with experience using velcro to
>hang rugs and other woven textiles.  Specifically, I understand the
>hook side of a velcro closing strip can be hooked into the back of
>the rug or textile.  The strip may then be attached to the wall by
>whatever means chosen.   I would like to know whether or how much
>damage this may cause to the rug/textile and over how long a period
>of time

I don't think that simply using the hook side of a piece of velcro
is adequate to hang any sort of textile.  Eventually it will destroy
the piece (or at least create big holes along the top edge!) because
of the stress of the carpet trying to hold itself onto the wall, not
to mention that the velcro will tear up the back of the carpet.

When we need to hang any sort of textile we usually back the object
with some sort of washed, unbleached muslin or cotton fabric and
then sew one side of a piece of 1-1/2"-2" wide velcro along the top
edge, being careful to attach it only to the backing.  The other
side of the velcro is then stapled to a sealed wooden board (usually
1x4) and the board is then screwed to the gallery wall.

By using this method the majority of the weight of the textile is
carried by the backing and is evenly distributed across the surface
of the fabric.

Jeanne Willoz-Egnor, Collections Manager
The Mariners' Museum
100 Museum Drive
Newport News, Virginia 23606

                   Distributed: Monday, July 17, 2000