Subject: Pipe clay dressing

Pipe clay dressing

From: George Bailey <george.bailey>
Date: Friday, July 7, 2000
The following posting is made on behalf of my colleague Sarah Clayton

    I am a textile conservator at the Australian War Memorial.  I am
    currently preparing a off-white German consular pith helmet (ca.
    1899) for display in an upcoming exhibition.  It is required
    that the helmet be re-coated with original style, off-white pipe
    clay dressing as part of this preparation.  I am searching for a
    supplier of this pipe clay dressing for this purpose.  I believe
    that the it was once supplied by a company called Gieves and
    Hawkes in London, however I have been in contact with them and
    they no longer stock it.  Can any body help with this ?

    Sarah Clayton
    Textile Conservator
    Australian War Memorial
    PO Box 456, Canberra, ACT