Subject: AIC

AIC

From: Kate Roberts <kate.roberts>
Date: Monday, July 3, 2000
I would like to support Mr Caldararo's comments in his posting in
Conservation DistList Instance: 14:2 Thursday, June 29, 2000,
regarding training, accreditation and certification.

Mr Caldararo asserts that accreditation in training would be of more
immediate benefit than the certification of conservators.

I would like to suggest that this approach would also provide
international leadership, for other countries where conservation
training opportunities are very limited.

The establishment of standards and internationally recognised
qualifications for training courses and apprenticeships in
conservation would have a direct benefit for organisations in
smaller countries either training or hiring conservators. For
example, there is now great potential for the development of online
training in conservation theory, supported by local apprenticeships
for benchwork experience, but the standards are lacking for the
development of this type of training. A model developed for the US
would provide an excellent basis for other countries.

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 6, 2000