Subject: Preservation Issues in Small to Mid-Sized Libraries Discussion Group

Preservation Issues in Small to Mid-Sized Libraries Discussion Group

From: Yvonne A. Carignan <yc38>
Date: Thursday, June 29, 2000
Preservation Issues in Small to Mid-Sized Libraries Discussion Group
ALA/ALCTS/PARS
ALA Midwinter Meeting, Chicago, IL
Contracting Collections Conservation
Marriott Downtown
Room: Ohio-Northwestern
Sunday, July 9, 2000
4:30-6:30

Co-Chair: Patricia Palmer
Co-Chair: Yvonne Carignan

Program Description: Contracts and work statements for preservation
activities insure professional standards, document obligations
between service provider and custodians, provide legal protection
for both parties, and are sound business practice.  Models of
contracts exist for library binding, preservation microfilming,
special collections conservation, and mass deacidification.  But
what about contracting for *general collections* preservation
treatment?  Can an effective work statement be created to capture
treatments that are both conservationally sound and cost effective
for general collections?  What treatments might we like to have for
deteriorated books from our general collections?  Are any vendors
interested in contracting to treat general collections for a cost
that libraries can afford?

In this session, we will explore issues related to outsourcing
collections conservation and consider what belongs in a collections
conservation work statement.  Our discussion will be guided by a
panel that includes collections conservators, preservation
administrators, vendors, and consultants who are experienced in
various aspects of contracting collections conservation.

We will meet Sunday, July 9, 2000, from 4:30 - 6:30, in the Marriott
Downtown Hotel in the Ohio-Northwestern Room.

Please feel free to contact us by phone or email for further
information.  (Yvonne at 301-405-9343/yc38 [at] umail__umd__edu; Patricia
at 804-828-2287/pepalmer [at] ruby__vcu__edu.)

Yvonne Carignan
Preservation Department Head
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland