Subject: Daguerreotypes

Daguerreotypes

From: Eleanor Ghey <e.ghey>
Date: Wednesday, June 14, 2000
I have come across a daguerreotype where the image appears to have
'faded' completely, leaving a uniform light silver surface. This
seems distinct from the deterioration caused by tarnishing of the
silver plate on some other examples in this collection.

I have been told that the daguerreotype process does not produce
images vulnerable to light damage; is this always the case? Are
there any processes of deterioration (or previous treatments) which
might involve redeposition of metallic silver on the surface of the
image?

Eleanor Ghey
Conservator
The Science Museum