Subject: Pesticide contamination of Native American artifacts

Pesticide contamination of Native American artifacts

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Monday, May 29, 2000
San Francisco State University is conducting research on the
pesticide contamination of Native American artifacts.  As part of
this program of research we are sponsoring a conference to take
place this fall and a list serve which is intended to gather
information and disseminate the same to the public at large.  We are
interested in the participation of all those who have expertise in
this issue.  Please join our email list serve if this is your area
of research or if you are interested in examining pesticide
contamination of artifacts and the museum environment as well as the
challenges attendant to handling and storing contaminated art,
archaeological materials and artifacts. Send a message to
Arttest [at] sfsu__edu and enter "subscribe" into the subject line.

We are also organizing a conference on the pesticide contamination
of Native American artifacts.  This conference will take place on
September 30 and October 1st of 2000.  September 30 consists of a
series of presentations by scientists involved in both the study of
pesticide contamination in the museum environment and in the public
health issues resulting from pesticide exposure.  October 1 will be
a workshop for the California tribes, policy agencies, and
conservators to address policy issues regarding health and
repatriation.

If you would like more information about the conference or if you
have been involved in testing artifacts in a public or private
setting and have test results you would like to share, please
contact

Dr. Niccolo Caldararo
Dept. of Anthropology
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Ave.
S.F., Ca. 94132
Arttest [at] sfsu__edu)

We are interested in any test results, methods used, problems noted
in any applications, types of objects tested.   We are also
interested in information anyone may have on pesticide treatment
practices in museums, historical societies, archaeological
departments in universities and colleges.  We are creating a data
file of pesticide use in museums, building on the work done by Lisa
Goldberg (JAIC 1996), and would like to be as comprehensive as
possible.  We are interested in pesticide materials used, methods of
application and types of artifacts treated.

Niccolo Caldararo, Ph.D.
Dept. of Anthropology
San Francisco State University

                   Distributed: Monday, June 5, 2000