Subject: Dataloggers

Dataloggers

From: Peter D. Verheyen <verheyen>
Date: Friday, May 26, 2000
When I was at Gaylord I looked at various models of "dataloggers"
and eventually settled on the Hanwell Humbug for a variety of
reasons. At Syracuse I use the one made by ACR and am quite happy
with it. The difference for me is that the software on the Humbug is
much more intuitive and has some other advantages as well. The big
one for me was the ability to append to a file so that you can have
one large chart for a year (just and example) rather than 52 small
ones that you need to save separately. You would still download
weekly (or whatever your schedule is), but just have one file for
all downloads from that device. In terms of price they were very
comparable, with the Humbug being somewhat less costly.

When looking at these devices, look at the software. In addition to
differences like the one I mentioned, most are also PC only, no Mac.

Peter D. Verheyen
Special Collections Preservation & Access Librarian / Conservator
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244

                   Distributed: Friday, May 26, 2000