Subject: Vibration

Vibration

From: Janine Wardius <janine>
Date: Thursday, May 25, 2000
Laura Downey <lldowney [at] aol__com> writes

>A curator has contacted me with a question concerning possible
>detrimental effects of musical instruments played in the galleries
>of his museum. He has not noticed any problems with the collection
>(which includes both oil on canvas and panel paintings, sculpture,
>and works on paper), but is concerned to avoid any possible damage.

This may seem obvious, but I think the more real danger with
concerts in the galleries is an increased danger of accidents as
musicians or audience inadvertently get too near to the artworks. My
own experience is that we have a small puncture, probably from a
violin bow, in a Picasso painting that hangs directly behind where
the musicians sit to perform occasional string recitals in one of
our galleries.

Janine Wardius
Paintings Conservator
Bergen Museum of Art, Norway