Subject: Cellugel

Cellugel

From: Deborah Howe <d-howe>
Date: Wednesday, May 17, 2000
Angela F. Piercy <afp048t [at] mail__smsu__edu> writes

>Has anyone ever tried this product or know what the pros and cons
>might be? I would be using this on leather bindings that are
>deteriorating, items where my only other option is boxing.  It is
>available from Gaylord, and the description makes it sound great:
>"Will not darken, discolor, or leave film on the surface of leather.
>Developed and used by professional conservators to treat
>deteriorating, powdery leather (red rot)..."  Is this something I
>should avoid, like other leather treatments we've tried in the past?

We have been using cellugel here at Northwestern since it came on
the market. It is true that it will not darken, discolor or leave
film.  I think the key factor here as with any product is to use it
for what its intended use is.  This product is not a leather
dressing or cleaner for supple leather but used to alleviate the
problems and inconveniences of those bindings where the leather has
turned to red rot and will transfer that rotted leather to anything
that it touches.  Essentially it is a consolidator. If you put a red
rot book in a box, once it is taken out and used you are faced with
the same mess. The cellugel is a convenient and fast treatment for
leather books that are already deteriorating. I have found no cons
for this product.

Deborah Howe / Collections Conservator
Northwestern University Library
1935 Sheridan Road