Subject: Cellugel

Cellugel

From: Michael Maggen <maggen>
Date: Friday, May 12, 2000
Angela F. Piercy <afp048t [at] mail__smsu__edu> writes

>Has anyone ever tried this product or know what the pros and cons
>might be? I would be using this on leather bindings that are
>deteriorating, items where my only other option is boxing.  It is
>available from Gaylord, and the description makes it sound great:
>"Will not darken, discolor, or leave film on the surface of leather.
>Developed and used by professional conservators to treat
>deteriorating, powdery leather (red rot)..."  Is this something I
>should avoid, like other leather treatments we've tried in the past?

I would be very careful before applying any product like that for
the simple reason: do I know its content? or its long run effects?
There were so many product in the past which were considered as the
ultimate "miracle" and later on proved to be a disastrous. I would
love to have in hand a material which "Will not darken, discolor,
or leave film on the surface of leather". However, I don't recall any
research nor any personal comments by colleagues concerning this
product "benefits", so I believe you have enough reasons
considering  the right choices.

Michael Maggen
Head of Paper Conservation Dept.
The Israel Museum Jerusalem