Subject: Filmoplast P90 tape

Filmoplast P90 tape

From: Andrew T. Lenz Jr. <andrew>
Date: Wednesday, May 3, 2000
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

I have frequented the list archives in CoOL and have actually posted
once a few years ago. I'm a framer, not a conservator, but as Paul
Storch said a few years ago, on a distinct yet parallel path to that
of conservators.

Here's my brief story: We framed a R.C. Gorman print 10 years ago
when there was no disclaimer on Neschen's Filmoplast P90 hinging
tape box with regard to placing it under "artist affected" areas.
(The framing trade has progressed immensely over the past 10 years!)
Our customer returned recently with the serigraphy ink faded in the
areas immediately above the P90 tape, which was holding the print to
4-ply rag board. Neschen claims there is no proof that the high pH
of the tape was responsible for the color change, which is
rumored/speculated to be the cause. But I imagine there are
different formulas of serigraphy inks, each with different
characteristics.

I am wondering if there has been any papers or research
investigating the effect of an alkaline pH on serigraphy inks. Or if
anyone has seen this fading with other hinging techniques. Or fading
on other work as a result of hinging with P90.

Can the DistList participants be of any assistance? I'm looking to
get educated in this regard, especially to anticipate any additional
problems that may come to our attention in the future as a result of
past hinging methods. If so, I would appreciate personal replies as
I do not actively participate on the list.

Andrew T. Lenz, Jr.
Vice-President
Lenz Arts, Inc.
142 River Street