Subject: Pigeon droppings

Pigeon droppings

From: Seifert Betty <seifert>
Date: Thursday, April 27, 2000
Mark Aronson <mark.aronson [at] yale__edu> writes

>Who knows, or would know who know, how to remove pigeon droppings
>from historic architectural elements?  We have found a stash of
>disassembled period rooms including flat wood panels, wainscotting,
>and banisters, staircases etc. Some of the material is painted, some
>just stained wood, some carved, gessoed and gilded.  There are also
>unpainted plaster pieces.  All of this material has been stored in
>an open barn and is covered with pigeon droppings.

Pigeon Droppings are definitely a health hazard and removal will
leave some damage to the surfaces.  To maintain safety for the
personnel, it will be necessary to wear full personal protection
equipment; respirator, gloves, jumpsuit, and something over the
hair, just as you would for lead abatement. To remove the droppings
use brushes and hepa vacuums.  This will remove the bulk of the
material.  It is time consuming, but in the long run more efficient.
What remains can be removed with damp swabs.  There is no easy way
to do it.  You have my sympathy.

Betty Seifert
Deputy Chief
Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 3, 2000