Subject: Pigeon droppings

Pigeon droppings

From: Mark Aronson <mark.aronson>
Date: Monday, April 24, 2000
Who knows, or would know who know, how to remove pigeon droppings
from historic architectural elements?  We have found a stash of
disassembled period rooms including flat wood panels, wainscotting,
and banisters, staircases etc. Some of the material is painted, some
just stained wood, some carved, gessoed and gilded.  There are also
unpainted plaster pieces.  All of this material has been stored in
an open barn and is covered with pigeon droppings.

Our health and safety department wants to hose it all down with
bleach, but I am looking for a way to treat the pieces that would be
(a) safe for the pieces (b) safe for the cleaner and (c) reasonably
efficient.

If anyone has suggestions on what to do or who to talk to I would
appreciate them.

Mark Aronson
Chief Conservator
Yale University Art Gallery