Subject: Adhesives for glass

Adhesives for glass

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Monday, April 17, 2000
S.Girikumar <sahgals [at] india__com>

>I am looking for adhesives with Refractive Index around 1.5 to
>repair broken glass objects. I have read about Opticon UV-57. Can
>anybody tell me who the manufacturer is?

If you are looking for an adhesive with a RI of 1.5, you might
choose either Hxtal Epoxy or Paraloid B-72.  Either one are closer
to RI 1.5 than Opticon UV-57. (Hxtal is around 1.52; B-72 around
1.48-1-49, and UV-57 around 1.53).  See

    Tennent, N. and Townsend, J.,
    "The significance of the refractive index of adhesives for glass
    repair"
    in Adhesives and Consolidants, IIC Paris Congress, 1984, pp.
    205-212.

The address for Opticon UV-57 is also given in that paper, as

    Opticon Chemical
    P.O. Box 445
    Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274
    USA

What exactly are you repairing? That would influence my choice.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Corning Glass Center