Subject: Painted leather

Painted leather

From: Mats Grennfalk <mats.grennfalk>
Date: Sunday, April 16, 2000
I am an upholstery conservator that has a problem with a leather
covered sofa. It's from the 1920s and has a cover in painted
leather; it's not dyed all through. The problem is that the colour
cover is flaking and that some areas miss all its paint.

I wonder if someone reading this will have an idea of how to work in
this material. The sofa is only for show and is never used for
sitting. My problem is how to fasten the flakes, how to dye the
naked parts and get a surface on these parts so they look all right
to the viewers.

Mats Grennfalk
Upholstery conservator
Kullavagen 5