Subject: Coatings and varnishes

Coatings and varnishes

From: Petar Gerasimov <pgerasimov>
Date: Monday, April 17, 2000
I have another question that is related to the coating of painting
layer of panel painting (Byzantine icons with approximate dimensions
120 x 100 x 4 cm.), after retouching, but before varnishing with
dammar lacquer. The reason that I am asking this, on the open Forum
of conservators (that is best invention of the Internet era) is
following:

Some conservators in the team are suggesting that the varnish should
be applied directly on the original, and other have the opinion that
a layer of a protection coat should be applied before new
varnishing.

Is there any standardization of the procedure, and what could be
used for the purpose of protecting the original, from new varnish
(if, in the future that new lacquer might need to be removed).

Petar  Gerasimov
Conservator-restaurator of icons and wall paintings
City institute for the protection of cultural
monuments-Skopje
P.O. Box 328
1000 Skopje, Macedonia
+389 91 233 812 (phone/fax)