Subject: Roger de la Fresnaye

Roger de la Fresnaye

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Thursday, April 20, 2000
I am interested in speaking with anyone who has examined or treated
a Roger de la Fresnaye painting.  I am most interested in
unvarnished paintings.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to
locate any information that he varnished his paintings.  Seligman is
silent on this and  other scholars have also not spoken on the
topic.  I examined his "Conquest of Air" at the NY Museum of Modern
Art with Dr. Silver and it was apparent that all our sources
indicate he did not varnish his paintings.  Most of his work in the
US is varnished.  I would appreciate any information on this
subject.  Also, I will be in Europe this spring and if anyone knows
of la Fresnaye paintings which are unvarnished, I would be very
interested in knowing where they are and if they are available for
examination.  Thank you.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service