Subject: Metal dowels in medieval panels

Metal dowels in medieval panels

From: Marie Louise Sauerberg <msauerberg>
Date: Thursday, April 20, 2000
X-rays of the Westminster Retable (Westminster Abbey, ca. 1270, 957
x 3332 mm. (Largest dimensions)) revealed that the main structure
is butt joined with 31 apparently rounded iron dowels. We are
interested to hear about other examples of metal dowels used in
similar ways particularly in medieval wooden structures. We would
also invite suggestions as to why metal dowels might be preferred to
wooden dowels.

Further details about the construction can be obtained from the
above mentioned email address.

Ian McClure, Spike Bucklow, Ray Marchant, Jo Dillon and Marie Louise
Sauerberg,
The Hamilton Kerr Institute
University of Cambridge.

                  Distributed: Friday, April 21, 2000