Subject: Amber

Amber

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Sunday, April 16, 2000
Alexandra Jeberien <jeberien [at] rzb__fhtw-berlin__de>

>For my thesis research, I need information on treatments of amber,
>especially consolidants recently used, and not published in the last
>10 years.

This is in reply to Alexandra Jeberien concerning amber treatments.
My assistant, Heather Shepherd, has been working on a project
researching treatments on amber, their durability and acceptability.
One serious flaw to most of the published treatment material is that
the treatments were applied to objects simply assumed to be amber,
nor if documentation was presented, we do not know of what kind of
amber the objects were constructed.  Tests for amber that were made
in the past are quite subjective.  Ms. Shepard has been collecting
data using Dr. Kurt Beck's published abstracts and speaking with him
on his vast library of IR spectra on objects described as amber and
amber samples.  Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to contact
Dr. Beck at The Vassar Amber Laboratory and ask for his help.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                  Distributed: Friday, April 21, 2000