Subject: Early pasteboard

Early pasteboard

From: Helen McPherson <hmcpherson>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2000
The following is posted on behalf of Barbara Gordon.

    I'm researching the production of pasteboard in the 15th c. in
    Europe. I know there were paper mills in Spain and Italy in the
    14th c., I know that pasteboard started to be used for book
    boards in the late 14th to early 15th c., I know that it was
    used for most or all of the surviving decks of 15th c. cards,
    and I know that it involved layers of scrap paper and/or
    parchment glued together. What I don't know is, what kind of
    glue (size?) was used; were the layers pressed as well as glued;
    how close was it to paper production methods?

    I've seen photos of book boards where the pasteboard has been
    separated, and they were made of 10-11 layers of paper, with no
    attempt to bleach or remove existing writing. I'm guessing that
    at least the outer layers of playing cards would need to be of
    unmarked paper. I haven't seen any late medieval paper, so I
    don't know what its usual thickness would be. If there is anyone
    who can point me at a resource for answers to these questions,
    I'd appreciate it.

    Barbara Gordon

Helen McPherson
Preservation Packaging Team Leader