Subject: Daylight fluorescent pigments

Daylight fluorescent pigments

From: Akemi Yoshizawa <aklove47>
Date: Thursday, April 6, 2000
I am studying about light damage on daylight fluorescent pigments. I
would like to know the experiences among conservators who have
handled art work with daylight fluorescent pigments. Daylight
fluorescent pigments are often called Day-Glo after a manufacture
and they have very bright colors under daylight or UV illumination
but the colors tend to be fugitive. If you have experience, please
let me know how you managed color matching for inpainting,
difficulty in illumination, preventive conservation techniques such
as varnishing with UV absorber, treatment of crack and flaking, and
any other difficulties. Treatment advice and references are also
appreciated.

Akemi Yoshizawa
Research student in conservation science
Master of Art Conservation Program
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6, Canada

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 15, 2000