Subject: Varnish

Varnish

From: Thomas H. Rebok <trebok>
Date: Thursday, April 13, 2000
I'm presently working on a 17th century Dutch painting. Oil on panel
I removed a layer of surface dirt, a layer of non original varnish,
old retouchings and a layer of dirt that has not been removed at a
previous cleaning.

Every step went satisfactory. I'm now at the point of applying a
first layer of varnish. I tried Dammar, Ketone N and Grumbacher
gloss  varnish. I tried brushing and spraying. Every time an orange
skin texture started to appeared on the varnish.

Would anyone out there know what the origins for this phenomenon are
and what to do to prevent it from happening?

Thomas Rebok
Fine Art Restorer
Cape Town

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 15, 2000