Subject: Hydrogen peroxide and EDTA

Hydrogen peroxide and EDTA

From: Christine Cheffins <chepstowmuesum>
Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2000
Does anyone have experience of using EDTA to stabilise hydrogen
peroxide for paper bleaching?  I need a clear solution (no
precipitate) for spraying on the suction table and am unsure of the
correct amount of EDTA to use.

The AIC, Paper conservation Catalogue 19, p 20, state "for suction
table work the addition of EDTA (about 0.1M) to bleach solution is
preferred".

Similarly, in "Practical Considerations for Conservation Bleaching"
(H. Burgess, p 19) the recommendation is for a final concentration
(of the bleach) of 0.1M EDTA.

As the EDTA I have has a molecular weight of 372.24 this would mean
37.224g/l of bleach solution, which would then, of course, need to
be pH adjusted.  Does this sound right?

Chris Cheffins, Conservator
Chepstow Museum
S. Wales, UK