Subject: Faience

Faience

From: Karen Wilson <karen.wilson>
Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2000
I would appreciate advice regarding the treatment of Egyptian
faience. I am presently working on a small pot which has previously
been reconstructed using animal glue and small areas of painted
plaster.

The pot is developing salts which we believe are pollution induced.
There is also a sticky residue on the surface which is, at least in
part, the result of the past reconstruction.

I understand from the literature that very little can be done to
treat faience, but I would be interested if anyone could offer any
suggestions.

Karen Wilson
Conservator
Department of Antiquities