Subject: Conference on chemistry, art and archeology

Conference on chemistry, art and archeology

From: Melissa R. Katz <mkatz>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2000
2000 Peter A. Leermakers Symposium
Where Chemistry Meets Art and Archeology
Wednesday, May 10, 2000
Science Auditorium, Science Center, Lawn Avenue
Wesleyan University
For further information, call 860-683-2572.

This year's Leermakers Symposium is titled "Where Chemistry Meets
Art and Archeology." The theme of the Symposium is analytical
chemistry as it is applied to archeology and art--two subjects not
formally associated with chemistry. The speakers will demonstrate
the essential role of analytical chemistry in studying the materials
science of archeological objects and works of art. Indeed the
aesthetic appreciation of these works is realized through the
chemistry of their materials. The participants will discuss
applications of the tools of chemistry to archeological discovery,
to the authentication and restoration of an objects, and to an
analysis of the creative process itself,

We invite you to participate in the Symposium and hope that your
will find it possible to attend. It would De very much appreciated
if you would bring this notice to the attention of your colleagues
and students.

The registration information is included below. Since we anticipate
a large audience, we would appreciate your prompt response so that
we may plan the Symposium properly. Registration on the day of the
Symposium is, however, also possible.

9 am        Professor Laura B. Grabel
            Dean of the Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Wesleyan
            University
            Professor Dudley Herschbach
            Harvard University: Symposium Chair
9:15 am     "Authenticating Paintings: The Shroud of Turin"
            Dr. Walter McCrone
            McCrone Research Institute
10: 15 am   "Organic Materials as Archaeological Artifacts"
            Professor Joseph B. Lambert
            Northwestern University
11: 15 am   Coffee
11:30 am    "Archeometry. Prehistoric Diets via Isotope Analysis"
            Professor Nekoiaas van der Merwe
            Harvard University
12:30 pm    Lunch
1:30 pm     "Art and Chemistry: Two Ways of Seeing"
            Dr. Barbara Berrie
            National Gallery of Art
2:30 pm     Coffee
3 pm        "Raman Microscopy: Its Application to the Identification
            of Pigments on Manuscripts, Paintings and Other
            Artifacts "
            Professor R.J.H. Clark
            University College, London
4 pm        "Vincent van Gogh: Chemicals, Crises and Creativity"
            Professor Wilfred N. Arnold
            University of Kansas Medical Center

To register, return the below to:

    Lucile Blanchard
    Department of Chemistry
    Wesleyan University
    Middletown, CT 06459

Name
Student: Yes No
Affiliation
Lunch: Yes No
Address
Dept or Street
City
State
Zip

Registration Fee:
    $25.00 ($10.00 for students) in advance
    or $30.00 ($12.00 for students) at Symposium plus $7.00 for box
    lunch (reserved in advance)

Enclosed:
    $    for____registrations
    $    for____ box lunches

Total: $

Please list additional associates on a separate street of paper by
name Indicate whether any me students and if they want box lunch.
Unfortunately, Vegetarian lunches will not be available. Receipts
will only be sent upon request. Driving directions and local noted
information available upon request.

Checks payable to "Wesleyan University". Registration and payment
before May 5, 2000

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 15, 2000