Subject: Conference on preserving electronic heritage

Conference on preserving electronic heritage

From: Robert Cunningham <rcunningham>
Date: Thursday, April 6, 2000
Digital Reality II: Preserving Our Electronic Heritage
John F. Kennedy Library
Boston, Massachusetts
Jun 5, 2000

A conference cosponsored by the NELINET Preservation Advisory
Committee, the John F. Kennedy Library, and the Northeast Document
Conservation Center.

How can libraries, archives, and organizations cope with the
ever-increasing amount of digital material? Will future generations
be able to read our CD ROMs and computer files? Come hear what the
experts pose as the barriers and solutions to our digital problems.

Speakers:

    Tim Berners-Lee, MIT, the inventor of the World Wide Web
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/>

    Jeff Rothenberg, Rand Corporation, promoter of emulation as a
    digital preservation strategy
    <URL:http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/rothenberg/contents.html>

    Fynnette Eaton, Smithsonian Institution, promoter of migration
    as a digital preservation strategy
    <URL:http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/html/cem9922.html>

    Paul Conway, Yale University, author of articles on digital
    preservation and digital imaging
        <URL:http://www.library.yale.edu/preservation/pconway.htm>

    Walt Crawford, Research Libraries Group, an information
    architect and author of 14 books and over 180 articles on
    libraries, technology, publishing, and personal computing,
    <URL:http://home.att.net/~walt.crawford/>

    Jan Merrill-Oldham, Harvard, consultant and author in
    preservation planning, management, and development
    <URL:http://preserve.harvard.edu/>

In 1998 NELINET sponsored the first Digital Reality Conference
attended by over 400 people. We heard about the new world of
electronic information, electronic resources in the consortial
environment, implications of digitization for preservation, and
designing and planning electronic resources access. How far have we
come? Do we have it all figured out or are we still looking for
answers?

Full program and registration information is posted on the NELINET
web site, <URL:http://www.nelinet.net/conf/pres/pres00/digital.htm>
For more information contact Robert Cunningham at NELINET,
rcunningham [at] nelinet__net or 1-800-NELINET. For directions to the John
F. Kennedy Library see: <URL:http://www.cs.umb.edu/jfklibrary/>

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 15, 2000