Conservation DistList Archives [Date] [Subject] [Author] [SEARCH]

Subject: Monotypes


From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Thursday, April 6, 2000
Bill Hill <bhyem_2000 [at] yahoo__com> writes

>Looking for info on monotypes. By monotype I mean a print  where an
>image has been drawn in oil paint or oil based printing ink onto a
>glass or metal plate and while still wet pressed onto paper.

I can tell you from experience that printers and artists will feel
free to use whatever materials are at hand if the effect is right.
This would include mixing oil paints and printing inks, and anything
else, too. Oil-based inks are usually used for lithographic and
intaglio printing. I found the ink's manufacturers to always be
forthcoming about their make up, but there are many ink sources,
including both art specialty and regular commercial suppliers.

Most silk screen inks were solvent-based (up to the last few
decades), and could be mixed with oil-based pigment systems (like
oil paints or oil-based inks). (Examination of prints I made with
oil/screen ink combinations a year or less later showed free oil
discolouring the paper beneath the image.) I've done monoprints
using solvent based inks, so be aware of other strange media

Jerry Shiner
formerly The Art Printer studio, Toronto

                  Conservation DistList Instance 13:51
                 Distributed: Saturday, April 15, 2000
                       Message Id: cdl-13-51-003
Received on Thursday, 6 April, 2000

[Search all CoOL documents]