Subject: Cigarette damage to rubbings

Cigarette damage to rubbings

From: Amelia Hubbard <hubbarda>
Date: Monday, March 27, 2000
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as
    well

I am a student at Beloit College.  I am currently taking a course on
Technique and Theory in Museum Collections, and I need some
information. My grandfather, Lee Parsons, was a South American
archaeologist and after his death my family acquired a number of his
rubbings. Unfortunately, a number of them were displayed in his
house and were left unprotected from his cigarette smoking.  As an
aspiring anthropologist and museum curator I am naturally interested
in pursuing information on this subject.  My paper is mainly going
to focus on the conservation aspects of removing cigarette stains
from rubbings.  My teacher is not a conservator, but a collections
manager, and she suggested that I consult some other sources to find
out if there is any material on this subject.

So, the short version of my question is, do you know of any
materials or sources I could use to research this subject??  It
could pertain to cigarette stains on any material, but for obvious
reasons I am more interested in the removal of cigarette stains from
cloth rubbings.

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 30, 2000