Subject: Greenhouse shading

Greenhouse shading

From: Carolyn Lamb <carolynpaintingconservator>
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2000
As a short-term 'cheap' solution to staff complaints about excessive
summer heat in two of our galleries it is proposed to paint the
outer glass with greenhouse shading paint (not my suggestion). The
roofs are pitched glass with internal glass laylights.I am obtaining
costs for proper conservation film from Sun-X (MT20) which we do
have on most of the other roof areas but cost will be the overriding
factor unless I can prove the paint option to be ineffective.

Has any one had experience with this greenhouse shading paint and to
what extent it it works?

What are the problems? Does it work that well, (I seem to remember
summer greenhouses as hot and humid). If the roof leaks does it
bring some of the pigment in and drip over internal surfaces. What
are the cost of redoing it annually.

                  Distributed: Friday, March 24, 2000