Subject: Atlases

Atlases

From: Beverly J. Mahoney <suna>
Date: Friday, March 17, 2000
We have several volumes of Baist Atlases that are in very poor
shape. These are oversize volumes which were used by insurance
companies.  They plat the city.

Physical description: pages are stubbed and are lined with cloth
and an unknown adhesive which is very water soluble.  Areas on the
pages are hand-colored with soluble pigments and there are layons
added as the neighborhoods changed.

Questions: has anyone had any experience with this type of binding?
Experience with lining pages with cloth?  Is anyone familiar with
the kind of adhesive used?

These books are valuable for the information they hold and are used
frequently.  We want to microfilm them after treating the pages and
before binding.  I would appreciate any help or info anyone could
share.

Beverly J. Mahoney
450 West Ohio Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202