Subject: Paintings

Paintings

From: Montserrat Le Mense <montserrat.lemense>
Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2000
Holly Chase <hchase [at] byugate__byu__edu> writes

>I would like to know what techniques and materials are appropriate
>for backing paintings on canvas. What we normally use is Fome-Cor
>cut to the size of the work and then screwed into the back of the
>stretcher bars to prevent any damage to the vulnerable back. We also
>cut out a small triangle (usually 1 1/2 inches tall)  in the
>Fome-Cor for a ventilation hole

Good for you! Backing boards are one of the simplest and most
effective preventive conservation measures.  Go ahead and attach
them as you are doing,use short phillips head screws and metal
collars, but don't cut a ventilation hole... they do more harm than
good.

Also, you might want to try Coroplast  instead of Fome-Cor.  It ages
better, looks better, cuts to size as easily and isn't responsive to
moisture.

It also wins the 'flying awl' test every time; an awl dropped from
shoulder height dents coroplast, but penetrates Fome-Cor. Coroplast
is a little more expensive but worth it.  It can be ordered through
University Products.

Montserrat Le Mense
Associate Conservator of Paintings
Williamstown Art Conservation Center