Subject: Conservation of pith paper

Conservation of pith paper

From: Laura Downey <lldowney>
Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2000
Julia M. Landry <j.landry [at] ns__sympatico__ca> writes

>Does anyone have any experience working with Chinese pith paper,
>often mistakenly called rice paper.  I'd be interested to receive
>any information on its physical properties, etc.

Stephanie Watkins, now at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research
Center, has done considerable research on "pith" as well as
compiling other published and unpublished sources about it.

Several years ago I treated two drawings on pith paper, developing a
method of lining them non-aqueously with a Rhoplex acrylic emulsion
and Japanese paper.  I chose this type of treatment because I was
concerned about the material's high degree of expansion with
moisture, as well as having concerns about the water-solubility of
the media.  I had an opportunity to see the drawings approximately 5
years after treatment, during which time they had been under
continuous exhibit in the owner's home.  Although I could not
unframe them, the linings appeared to me to be holding up well, also
with no evidence of discoloration due to the adhesive.  If you are
interested in more details of this treatment, I can share them with
you off-list.

Laura Downey

                  Distributed: Friday, March 24, 2000