Subject: Reinforcing sculpture joints

Reinforcing sculpture joints

From: Suvi Leukumaavaara <gattopardos>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2000
I'm a final term student studying art conservation in Finland,
writing my thesis about the conservation of a late 15th century
polychrome sculpture, a crucifix from a church in Finland (now in
the collections of the National Museum). I'm looking for information
on material used to cover or reinforce the joints of the sculpture
(linden). The material used on the object I'm working with looks
like it could be tendon or swim bladder (ripped longitudinal
direction?). The reference material I've used is dry elk (deer)
tendon and dry sturgeon swim bladder. It might be possible that the
sculpture comes from Tallinn/Estonia (Lubeck style), which might
explain the possible use of sturgeon swim bladder?

I haven't found any articles or information on this subject, has
anyone experience/info on these materials used as joint
reinforcement, or any other suggestions what it might be?

Suvi Leukumaavaara
National Museum of Finland

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 14, 2000