Subject: Displaying tapestries

Displaying tapestries

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2000
Mark H. Esser <esser [at] bc__edu> writes

>I am interested in information and opinions on the idea of using a
>large display case, with a self contained environmental control
>system, for the exhibit of tapestries....
>An obvious concern is that such a display case would be an eyesore.
>... Has it been done anywhere else?  How would we locate
>someone with the expertise to construct it?

I would suggest that the design of the case will depend on the
method of environmental control that you choose.

A passive system (eg silica get) would need a tightly sealed
container. This would mean extra attention at the edges, access
panels, and joints to provide efficient sealing, as well as some
means of providing for general changes in air pressure if it is a
large volume container.

An active system (like the Micro Climate Generator) which pumps
tempered air at positive pressure into a display case might mean a
more delicate, and likely less expensive structure would do the job.
It would also mean that less expertise in display construction- I
think a skilled cabinet maker could make an adequate case, given
other safety parameters. Other advantages of the MCG include the
prevention of "layering" of air in a large volume container, and
built-in electronic monitoring.

More information on the Micro Climate Generator is on our Keepsafe
Systems web site: <URL:http://www.gowncare.com>

Jerry Shiner

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 14, 2000