Subject: Insulated modular storage without environmental controls

Insulated modular storage without environmental controls

From: Karin von Lerber <karin.vonlerber>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2000
David Wexler suggests to use a walk-in cooler/freezer for
non-climate-controlled storage.

We considered this too, some time ago, but we wonder if there might
not be major problems with such tightly sealed and non-hygroscopic
rooms if they are *not* climate-controlled? If I consider my
fridge--empty and turned off--sitting for a while with the door
closed, I remember that it smells awful after a while. I wonder, if
there might not be major mold-problems, if a (too) well insulated
room without air movement is used as a storage area. David Wexler
obviously uses this kind of modular equipment *with* climate-control
system as he writes: "I think you will be presently surprised to
find out just how little temperature and humidity control systems
you will need inside this box to maintain satisfactory storage
conditions...."

In Europe, the box in a box system for storage is sometimes done
with interior walls at a certain distance to the outer shell into
which all technical equipment can be built so that technical
maintenance and air conditioning ducts are mostly outside of the
storage area and separately accessible. This box in a box system
works very well, and considerably reduces cost of climate control
equipment and running costs.

Does anybody have experience with using walk-in coolers *without*
any climate control? Are our concerns real or are they only
theoretical?

Karin von Lerber
Prevart GmbH
Konzepte fur die Kulturgutererhaltung