Subject: Conservation of mural paintings

Conservation of mural paintings

From: Molly Lambert <lambert>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2000
Patricia Gabriac <patricia.gabriac [at] wanadoo__fr> writes

>We are working on frescos of XVII century in a castle in France. The
>paintings are very stained and powdery (an effect due to the glue of
>wall papers). Does somebody know what we could use instead of
>Paraloid B72? Does somebody know about or have any experience with
>lime water?

Based on your questions (and with all due respect), it sounds like
you need to engage the services of a fresco conservator.  The
Courtauld Institute in London, Department of Wall Paintings (Sharon
Cather or David Park) (+44 171 8732848) may be a good resource.

Molly Lambert
Architectural Conservation

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 14, 2000