Subject: Paper deterioration

Paper deterioration

From: Franklin Shores <fshores>
Date: Saturday, February 26, 2000
Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt <schaudt [at] neosoft__com> writes

>I received a botanical watercolor illustration to re-frame.  A
>professional framer used regular matboard on the piece and the paper
>underneath is yellowed.  I will be using conservation board mats
>when reframing, but would like to know if there is a spray or
>product that can be put on the damaged section of the paper to halt
>further destruction of the piece.

There is no magic spray. Consult a paper conservator. We usually
will remove a damaged or discolored substrate from a print and treat
the substrate by washing to reduce degradation products. The art
work can then be hinged back in its original position on the
substrate. As we use deionized water to wash, we follow up washing
in calcinated water to add beneficial particles to the paper. I will
not go into the particulars. This information has been well
published by others.

Franklin Shores
CIPP

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 7, 2000