Subject: Broadsides

Broadsides

From: Whitney Baker <wbaker>
Date: Monday, February 21, 2000
I have recently run across two examples of early 19th century
steamer trunks (in one case, just the lid) that have been lined with
broadsides advertising steamboat travel in the 1820-30's.  I would
like to determine if the broadsides were considered: 1) no more than
waste lining material, or 2) treasured souvenirs that were attached
to the luggage after a trip, much like the modern-day application of
stickers from foreign cities one has visited to the outside of a
trunk.  Has anyone else witnessed the use of broadsides in this
manner, or is it just a coincidence that I've seen two examples in
the last few months?

Whitney Baker
Conservation Librarian
University of Kentucky Libraries