Subject: Marking prints and drawings

Marking prints and drawings

From: Ingrid Schwarz <info>
Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2000
We are discussing the stamping of prints and drawings in our graphic
collection. Since we have not found another method of marking the
works of art on paper for security reasons (which other
possibilities are there?) we would like to know:

Which would be a good and tested stamping ink or printing colour to
use? The ink should be water and solvent (e.g. alcohol) stable to
limited conservation treatment of the stamped prints and drawings as
little as possible. Has there been any testing on stamping inks or
printing colours for stamping (literature)? Does anybody have
experience with florescent stamping inks?

Ingrid Schwarz
Dipl.-Paper Conservator
Saarland Museum
Bismarckstr. 11-19