Subject: Ink corrosion

Ink corrosion

From: Alberto Ballotta <aballotta>
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2000
Actually I'm working on a late 12th century Italian manuscript,
calfskin, where the ink is starting to corroding few pages. The book
was housed in a controlled environment for a long period, so it
hasn't seem to have suffered from temperature and humidity changes.
I'm searching a way of trying to stop this corrosion, so I'm
wondering what's the best way to start to treat this manuscript. I'm
also looking for references and articles about this subject. If you
have any suggestions, I'll appreciate.

Alberto Ballotta
Book conservator
Parma, Italy