Subject: Removing wax linings

Removing wax linings

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Friday, February 18, 2000
Karen Lenk <klenk [at] tpl__toronto__on__ca> writes

>Has anyone had experience removing old linings applied with wax? I
>am working on a 25" x 36", 1884 poster in extremely fragile
>condition (yellowed, embrittled, badly fragmented along 48 folded
>sections). The verso had been lined with a gauze-like material
>impregnated with what appears to be paraffin wax (white and
>brittle). I have tried heat (melts wax, but darkens paper), organic
>solvents (petroleum spirit, chlorinated hydrocarbons and some
>aliphatic/aromatic hydrocarbons)

I would suggest you have the material analyzed.  It is certainly odd
that this material is not soluble in the solvents you mention.
Removal of wax linings is usually very simple.  If the material is
very brittle, can you remove it with a sharp scalpel?  Cooling it
may make it more brittle and thus easier to pop off.

B. Appelbaum

                 Distributed: Friday, February 25, 2000