Subject: Storing archival materials

Storing archival materials

From: Sharon Connell <libsac>
Date: Friday, February 11, 2000
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to Claire
    Harder <claire.harder [at] war-experience__org>

The following is posted on behalf of a colleague who does not
subscribe to the list.

    I administer a charitable organisation which collects material
    from the Second World War for the purpose of scholarship.  Much
    of this is paper-based--letters, photographs and newspapers for
    example. I am acutely aware that we must institute certain
    'archival' storage procedures but first, I need to clarify some
    issues:

        1.  Are there any archivally acceptable paper clips that we
            can use? We've considered the plastic type available
            from our regular office suppliers but I'm concerned
            these might melt onto the paper in the event of fire.
            Are there alternatives to paper clips for the purposes
            of keeping bundles of papers together as I would prefer
            not to use them at all?

        2.  We have limited means and the boxes we purchase will
            have to accommodate many different formats. Is it better
            to make acid-free paper enclosures to more or less fit
            the bundles of papers (in which case they will move
            around inside the boxes) or place the bundles into
            enclosures (folders for example) secured with linen tape
            of the same dimensions as the  boxes?

    Claire Harder <claire.harder [at] war-experience__org>
    The Second World War Experience
    Leeds, England

Sharon Connell
Acting Conservation Officer
University of Leeds Library
Leeds LS2 9JT
+44 113 233 6375

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 16, 2000