Subject: Cellulose acetate

Cellulose acetate

From: Angeletta Leggio <aleggio>
Date: Friday, February 11, 2000
I am currently working on a project that the National Library of
Australia (NLA) has embarked on, to collate information regarding
various options for dealing with cellulose acetate collections,
including sound, motion picture, negatives and microfilm.

Problems associated with cellulose acetate deterioration, known as
the vinegar syndrome, has been known for some time to affect
collections within libraries and archive collections, and we would
like to scope the extent of this problem, both in Australia and
overseas.

We would like to hear from individuals about the extent of cellulose
acetate deterioration within their collections, their experiences in
dealing with this problem, and examine strategies being implemented
to deal with both large and small collections.

If you would like to comment off-line, or for further information
about the project, contact me by email or telephone.

    Angeletta Leggio
    National Library of Australia
    National and International Preservation Activities
    +61 2 6262 1223
    Fax:+ 61 2 6257 1703

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 16, 2000